Many Microsoft Word users are still wondering how to save a document as a read-only file? If you too are among them, then you will find this article quite useful, since we outline here some instructions to save a Word document as “Read Only”.
Microsoft Support instructions to Save MS Word document as “Read Only”
• Firstly, you need to launch the Microsoft Word 2007 application in the system by double-clicking the corresponding shortcut icon on the desktop screen.
• Tag along the Office tab located in the top right corner of your screen, and from the drop-down menu list, select the Save As option. This displays a new Save As dialogue box.
• Now click on the Options tab, followed by selecting the General Options tab.
• Now you can see a box with the title Password to modify. Then input a password into the box.
• When finished, put a check mark in the field near to Read-only recommended, followed by clicking the OK button. You need to input the password again in order to confirm it. When done, click OK.
• Now input a name for your document in the File name field, and then click Save.
How to Prevent Word document from Editing and Formatting?
As an initial step, open the Microsoft Word 2007 program, and open the document in it.
• Now, go to Office tab, and then choose the Review option from the drop down menu.
• Then, you have to choose the Protect Document option, followed by clicking Restrict Formatting and Editing under the Protect group. This opens up the Restrict Formatting and Editing window.
• After that, put a check mark next to Limit formatting to a selection of styles.
• After you complete the prior instruction, put a check mark in the box next to Editing restrictions. When done, choose the No Changes option from the drop down menu.
• Now access the Yes, Start Enforcing Protection option. This opens up a new window with a password field in it.
• Now input a password into the password field. You have to enter the password twice to confirm it. When finished, click OK.
• Finally, click on the Save tab to save the changes you have made in the settings.
These instructions are for Microsoft Word 2007 version. If you have another version installed, visit our support section to avail further assistance.