Outlook Express is a basic email management software. Follow the instructions from Windows 7 support team in order to perform a backup in a Windows 7 computer.
Instructions to back up Outlook Express email
- First of all, click on the Start button located in the lower left corner of your Windows desktop screen, to open the Windows Start Menu. Choose the Control Panel option from the Start Menu to open the Control Panel window.
- Click on the Appearance and Themes button and then choose the Folder Options button.
- Click on the View button and then choose the radio button located next to Show hidden files and folders option. Click on the Ok button to save all the changes that you have made to the settings.
- Click on the Start button one more time in order to open the Start Menu and then click on the My Computer option to open a Windows Explorer window.
- Go to the following address: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities, which is located on your local hard drive. Make sure that you replace username with the name of your user account with which you log on to your computer.
- Choose the icon that displays the identity number for the Outlook Express profile you want to back up and then open the Microsoft folder.
- Now, you will have to plug in a USB flash drive or external hard drive to the USB port of your computer. You will require a storage device so that you can back up your data.
- Now, once the computer detects the external storage device that has been connected to your computer, it is now time for you to copy the Outlook Express folder stored within the Microsoft directory to your flash drive or external hard drive.
- This process can take some time and it will depend on the processing speed of your computer. If you now start the upgrade process and has upgraded to a Windows 7 system, you will now be able to import the data into the Windows Mail program.